10:15 AM

Goodyear aligns its corporate responsibility program to UN Sustainable Development Goals


Goodyear knows its way around the open road and is on a journey of its own to increase its contribution to a more sustainable future. The company launched its Better Future corporate responsibility framework in 2019, shining a spotlight on its highest priorities — sustainable sourcing, responsible operations, advanced mobility and an inspiring culture.

The company's Better Future framework is mobilized around the United Nations' Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).

  • Good health and wellbeing

The creation of smart and connected tires for fleets, electric, and autonomous vehicles helps make our roads safer for all users. These tires have the power to flag issues such as under-inflation and tire wear, and can reduce stopping distance lost between a new and worn tire by 30%. Goodyear aims to ensure consumer adoption of intelligent tires by 2021.

  • Decent work and economic growth

Goodyear audits all of the company's natural rubber suppliers every two years to ensure its operations are not supporting child or forced labor. In 2018 and 2019, Goodyear conducted onsite audits at 98% of its supply in line with its supplier code of conduct. The company will follow up with onsite audits for the remaining 2% when travel restrictions from COVID-19 are lifted.

  • Reduced inequalities

Goodyear is dedicated to creating a professional and respectful workplace and has a zero tolerance policy to protect associates from discrimination, harassment, retaliation and workplace violence.

  • Sustainable cities and communities

Services such as Proactive Solutions help lower operating costs for fleets, and help them operate more efficiently. Goodyear is also collaborating with all major OEMs on electric and hybrid mobility to help usher in a better future. Half of the company's original equipment tire developments in Europe are for EVs and hybrids.

  • Responsible consumption and production

Goodyear established, and continues to uphold, a zero waste-to-landfill expectation at its tire and chemical plants back in 2006. In 2019, the company reduced its global energy usage by 18% and GHG emissions by 19% versus 2010 baseline.

  • Climate action

Goodyear can help influence fuel efficiency through its tires’ rolling resistance and weight. A tire with low rolling resistance and a vehicle with less weight consume less fuel and emit fewer greenhouse gas emissions. Since 2005, Goodyear reduced rolling resistance by 29% across the company's consumer tire portfolio, worldwide.

  • Life on land

Goodyear is a founding member of the Global Platform for Sustainable Natural Rubber, which was created to recognize and promote human rights within the natural rubber value chain and avoid ecosystem conversion and deforestation, among principles. In addition, Goodyear strengthened its own natural rubber policy to further promote an environmentally and socially-responsible supply chain.

So where to next?

Despite the challenges faced in 2020, the company continues to qualify and further quantify its impact on these SDGs. But Goodyear isn't on this journey alone. Each of the company's goals require collaboration, and its positive moves are supported by the automotive industry at large, its supply chain and its workforce. This teamwork ensures that Goodyear — and its customers — understand the impact of what is being done, and to see the benefits of Goodyear's goals. The journey is ongoing, and the future looks brighter than ever.