Porsche teams switch to Dunlop for FIA World Endurance Championship and Le Mans
- Porsche on the PodiumPorsche on the Podium
- Dunlop's World Endurance Championship success is the result of a true team effortDunlop's World Endurance Championship success is the result of a true team effort
- Dunlop provide the tyres , service and support at international racing events around the world, including the BTCCDunlop provide the tyres , service and support at international racing events around the world, including the BTCC
- Dunlop have been winning at Le Mans since 1924The 1952 Le mans 24h race, showing the Dunlop bridge in a position close to the present day version
- Dunlop , Le Mans and Endurance racing. A powerful combination.Dunlop , Le Mans and Endurance racing. A powerful combination.
- SportMaxx Race II_305-30 ZR20_view detailSportMaxx Race II_305-30 ZR20_view detail
- Gulf Racing experienced Dunlop tyres on their Porsche in the European Le Mans SeriesGulf Racing first experienced Dunlop tyres on their Porsche in the 2015 European Le Mans Series
- 9 of Dunlop's 34 Le Mans 24 wins have been with Porsche9 of Dunlop's 34 Le Mans 24 wins have been with Porsche Here's the iconic Group C Porsche 962
- Ready for action - The Gulf Racing Porsche 911 RSR on DunlopReady for action - The Gulf Racing Porsche 911 RSR on Dunlop
Two Porsche teams in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) have confirmed their switch to Dunlop tyres.
The successful Dempsey-Proton and Gulf Racing teams, who will race in the LMGTE AM class of WEC, including the Le Mans 24 hour race, chose Dunlop for their global campaigns after comparative testing and experience of working with Dunlop in the European Le Mans Series (ELMS), where the tyre company is the sole tyre supplier to the LMGTE class.
Dunlop is the most successful tyre manufacturer in the history of the Le Mans 24 Hour race, with 34 overall wins. For the last six consecutive years, Dunlop have been the choice of the LMP2 Prototype winners in the French marathon. Following this success in prototype racing, Dunlop increased their focus on the LMGTE class in 2016 – resulting in championship success in the first year of a Technical Partnership with Aston Martin Racing. The learnings from this WEC programme, and Dunlop’s experience in ELMS, have been applied to the tyre range that will be used on the Porsche 911 RSR entered by both teams.
Xavier Fraipont, Managing Director, Dunlop Motorsport Europe commented: " We are pleased that two experienced Porsche motorsport teams have chosen Dunlop as a technical partner. Following our successes in winning titles with Aston Martin in LMGTE last year, the selection of Dunlop after comparative testing is a strong endorsement of our performance”
Christian Ried, Proton Competition Team Principal and driver, added: “I´m sure that the constructive and professional work with Dunlop will bring a huge benefit for both of us”
The choice of Dunlop by two Porsche teams brings back memories of the successful collaboration between the two companies at the Le Mans 24 hours. Of Dunlop’s 34 victories, 9 were in partnership with Porsche spanning an era of iconic models such as the 935, 936, 956 and 962.
The close development work between Porsche and Dunlop was highlighted earlier this month at the Geneva Motor Show. Dunlop’s latest generation Sport Maxx Race 2 has been developed together with Porsche in order to meet the demanding requirements for the new 911 GT3. With the first-generation Sport Maxx Race tires fitted on the previous model of the GT3, Dunlop continues its offering of specialist tyres for Porsche vehicles.