Dunlop launch successor to 5 star rated TrailSmart
- TrailSmart MAX with Honda African Twin and BMW R1200 GS sizesTrailSmart MAX with Honda African Twin and BMW R1200 GS sizes
- TrailSmart MAX - 64% more mileageTrailSmart MAX - 64% more mileage
- xGT , Rayon Plies and JLB feature in TrailSmart MAXxGT , Rayon Plies and JLB feature in TrailSmart MAX
- TrailSmart MAX rear featuring xGT, Rayon Plies , JLB and MultiTreadTrailSmart MAX rear featuring xGT, Rayon Plies , JLB and MultiTread
- TrailSmart MAX - now with sizes for Honda Africa Twin and BMW R 1200 GSTrailSmart MAX - now with sizes for Honda Africa Twin and BMW R 1200 GS
- Front TrailSmart MAX features JLB , Rayon constructionFront TrailSmart MAX features JLB , Rayon construction
- Rear TrailSmart MAX features MultiTread, JLB and Rayon constructionRear TrailSmart MAX features MultiTread, JLB and Rayon construction
- TrailSmart MAX - Now for Honda Africa Twin and BMW R 1200 GSTrailSmart MAX - Now for Honda Africa Twin and BMW R 1200 GS
- New technologies build on TrailSmart 5 Star magazine test rating
- New construction and compounds provide up to 64% front and up to 15% rear mileage improvement
- Focus on consistent, enduring performance
- Development focused on BMW R 1200 GS and Honda Africa Twin
Dunlop’s acclaimed TrailSmart has been replaced in key sizes with the new TrailSmart Max. The latest tyre builds on the highly regarded predecessor’s magazine test winning wet and dry grip but adds new technologies that have been proven to improve handling and durability – perfect for riders planning a lengthy adventure.
The trail sector is one of the fastest growing segments of the Motorcycle market with new, higher powered bikes being launched to appeal to adventurous riders. Dunlop Europe launched the TrailSmart in 2015 and it was the only trail tyre tested by MotoMag to be awarded the maximum five stars in both wet and dry handling. However, Dunlop has not rested on its laurels. The need to design tyres to suit the new motorcycles in the sector coupled with Dunlop’s focus on developing new technologies to set class leading handling & mileage performance has resulted in the birth of a new tyre – TrailSmart Max.
The TrailSmart Max features rayon material in the ply construction. This gives more precise steering and when combined with Dunlop’s renowned JLB (Jointless Band) construction gives a quicker warm-up, and much more progressive behaviour in a variety of temperatures and conditions.
This enhanced construction combined with a new front profile adds the benefit of hugely improved durability. In internal testing, the new front 120/70R19 was proven to perform for 64% longer* than its predecessor, confirming Dunlop’s strong reputation for durability and endurance seen in other sectors with RoadSmart III and SportSmart2 Max.
The rear tyre now also benefits from Dunlop's MT or Multitread compound technology. The mix of compounds has been optimized to give strong mileage performance (15% better than its predecessor*) whilst offering enhanced cornering performance, particularly on the new generation of higher powered adventure bikes. The TrailSmart Max also features a tread design called xGT, or "Cross Groove Tread". This distinctive design features a new silica rich compound. This retains the TrailSmart’s 5-star test winning wet performance.
Andy Marfleet, Marketing Manager, EMEA said that the TrailSmart Max represented a significant leap forward in the sector: “The TrailSmart is a 5 star tyre, but we felt that we could also apply new technologies that had been proven in other sectors. We have managed to retain the segment-leading wet and dry handling performance, but also achieve a significant improvement in mileage. Our ‘stronger for longer’ philosophy, proven in the RoadSmart III, focuses on enduring performance, ensuring that the tyre performs throughout its life. The combination of new construction with rayon plies, a new MultiTread rear compound and the distinctive xGT tread pattern means that TrailSmart Max provides strong no-compromise performance for the most demanding adventure bike riders”
Significantly, the TrailSmart Max is available in sizes that are designed for the latest models in the sector. For example, the BMW R 1200 GS liquid cooled version (120/70 R19 and 170/60 R17) is now available, and for the water cooled version, Dunlop has introduced the (110/80 R19 and 150/70 R17) The Honda Africa Twin is also a popular choice in the adventure segment. Dunlop has optimised the 90/90-21 and 150/70 R18 combination to perfectly match this model. “The emergence of exciting new models in the adventure sector gave us the opportunity to tune our latest TrailSmart Max to the specific demands of these bikes” added Marfleet.
*Internal test versus Trailsmart size Front 120/70R19, Rear 170/60R17