Throwback Thursday: Dunlop’s 2017 Le Mans race
2017 was an epic year for Dunlop. In addition to the results that far exceeded expectations and even hopes, the tyres had an incredible year too. 2017 was the year that saw five teams quintuple-stint (x5!).
- 2 overall podium finishes
- 3 out of 3 fastest laps
- 2 out of 3 class wins
- 6 podiums
- Dunlop tyres led a total of 769 laps across 7 teams and 3 classes:
- 366/366 LMP2
- 210/340 LM GTE Pro
- 63/333 LM GTE Am
Mathias Kipp, Manager, Motorsport Sales reflects on the incredible race in the video:
Dunlop sets out to be faster, stronger, longer – every year – and 2017’s numbers showed just that.
- The 36 fastest LMP2 drivers were on Dunlop tyres – all three 38 drivers were in the top 11
- Ho Pin Tung’s fastest lap of 3:28.632 was also his theoretical best time – he didn’t better any of his sector times when setting the new LMP2 Le Mans race record.
- Top LMP2 car finished only one lap behind the LMP1 race winner.
- Nelson Piquet Jr was one of the most consistently quick LMP2 drivers – his best 10 laps average was 3:29.738 – less than one second from his best lap time of 3:28.785
- Daniel Serra was the fastest GTE Pro driver in the winning #97 Aston Martin, with #95’s Nicki Thiim in third.
- After 24 hours, four Dunlop GTE Am cars finished on the same lap – separated by 8.5km after 4484km of racing.
Stronger and longer…..
- 17 LMP2 teams quadruple stinted
- 5 LMP2 teams ran for 5 stints on the same set of tyres – up to 668 kilometres on one set
- 9632 laps completed
- Over 525000 tyre kilometres – more than 13 times round the Earth
- 245 million tyre revolutions
Winning LMP2 driver Tristan Gommendy gives a driver’s perspective on his 2017 Le Mans in the video:
James BaileyEMEAUnited Kingdomjbailey@goodyear.com44 7770 682413
Philippa NeilsonPress OfficersUnited Kingdompn@squashlimited.com07968 564660