Goodyear supports safer winter driving for SUVs
- Goodyear equips Europe’s growing SUV car segment with winter tires
- SUV drivers have an extra reason to feel safer: Goodyear‘s UltraGrip Performance SUV Gen-1 winter tire delivers shorter braking distances on dry, wet and icy roads.
SUVs are on the rise in Europe
The SUV and 4x4 car production has increased sharply in EMEA since 2012 and is expected to grow steadily in the coming years. According to the Motoring Research, SUVs are Europe’s most popular car class and data from Jato revealed that the number of SUVs sold has increased by 24% last year, making them the best-selling car segment in Europe for the first time. “There are a couple of reasons for this boom: lower cost, lower fuel prices, versatility of the car and high maneuverability. But mainly, the reason more and more people are buying SUVs is simply a matter of style, especially with many brands revealing new models”. says Martijn de Jonge, Brand Director Consumer PBU EMEA.
45 years of excellence in winter tires
In response to this boom, Goodyear launches a new tire aimed at SUVs: the UltraGrip Performance SUV Gen-1, the newest member of the UltraGrip winter tire family.
With the launch of this tire, Goodyear anticipates to fulfill the growing demand of SUV tires. Since the launch of Goodyear’s first UltraGrip tire in 1971, engineers have continuously been improving its technology and innovation, which made Goodyear one of the leaders in the winter tire market over the last 45 years.
Delivering enhanced grip
Due to their size, SUV’s increase the drivers’ confidence and make them often feel much safer in their bigger vehicles, giving them the false impression that they don’t need winter tires. However, it is even more important for SUV’s to be equipped with appropriate tires in winter conditions. These vehicles are heavier and their center of gravity is higher than that of passenger cars. As a consequence, forces exerted on the tire are stronger, making braking and handling more challenging. A paradox that Goodyear now has solved.
Martijn de Jonge, Brand Director Consumer PBU EMEA: "We leveraged both our experience in SUV tires and our top-notch winter tire technologies to introduce a SUV tire in our award-winning UltraGrip Performance range. Thanks to its modified design, the UltraGrip Performance SUV Gen-1 delivers enhanced grip and helps contribute to safer driving on wintery roads."
Main technologies and features of the UltraGrip Performance SUV Gen-1
- The interlocking sipes and tread design from the 3D Block Interlocking System (BIS) provide a better balance between dry handling and snow performance.
- Additionally, the SUV-optimized sipe and block arrangements, now angled instead of being entirely straight, improve grip, enhanced braking and traction on snow and icy roads.
- With the ActiveGrip technology, the optimal road contact patch with a larger footprint or width enhances grip and braking performance. Having more rubber on the road means more surface contact, which improves stability.
- And finally the tread optimal performance (TOP) indicator alerts and allows the driver to change tires at the correct interval to ensure optimal winter performance.
Goodyear’s UltraGrip once more TÜV’s performance leader
The UltraGrip family has been lauded over and over in tests conducted by renowned automotive and test magazines and independently run tests. Reiterating the success of the UltraGrip family in tire tests, Goodyear’s UltraGrip Performance SUV Gen-1 excelled during TÜV tests for braking on wet, dry, icy and snowy roads.
The test results demonstrated the following performances:
- 1.9 meters shorter braking distance on wet roads (7% better performance);
- 2.3 meters shorter braking distance on dry roads (5% better performance);
- 4% better braking performance on icy roads;
- 2% better braking performance on snowy roads, representing the second best snow braking performance of the tires tested.
Goodyear’s UltraGrip Performance SUV Gen-1 is available in sixteen sizes.
PRESS RELEASE DOWNLOAD
Jeroen RigoleDirector Brand PR & Event EMEABelgiumjeroen_rigole@goodyear.com+32 (0) 2 713 19 78